The late-Gothic church was erected between 1486 and 1524, and one of Transylvania’s strongest citadels was built around it between 1572 and 1867. The medieval architectural complex consists of the church and the ring of fortifications, located in the middle of the settlement, on a hill. The monumental fortified church has three equal-sized halls, with three separate entrances on the west, north and south walls. The church features the country’s largest polyptych altar, with a total of 28 painted panels. Although the 500+-year old stone pulpit is the work of Brașov-based artisan Ulrich, it has apparent southern German influences.